Chippewas fall to Temple in overtime

PHILADELPHIA - Brandon McManus kicked a 30-yard field goal in overtime to lift Temple to a 13-10 victory over Central Michigan at Lincoln Financial Field Thursday night.
"It was disappointing, but I really like the way our team battled," said CMU head coach Dan Enos. "I liked our effort. I thought we still had chances to win the game, but we made too many mistakes to beat a good football team."
McManus's kick ended a physical, back-and-forth matchup that saw both teams have opportunities to secure a victory in the final minute of regulation.
Trailing 10-7, CMU took possession following a Temple punt at its own 21-yard line with 8:42 remaining. The Chippewas drove to the Temple 29, where on fourth-and-6 Ryan Radcliff rolled right and hit a sliding Cedric Fraser for a gain of 22 yards.
A fumble moved the ball back to the Temple 13, and walk-on David Harman converted a 31-yard field goal, his first collegiate attempt, with 1:11 left to tie the score.
Four plays after the kickoff, Kashawn Fraser and John Williams combined on a sack of Temple quarterback Chester Stewart who fumbled; Williams fell on the ball to give possession back to CMU on the Temple 35-yard line with 35 seconds left.
The Chippewas, however, managed only a 3-yard pass to Paris Cotton before Radcliff was sacked on the final play of regulation.
CMU lost the overtime coin flip, and on the fifth play of the extra session Radcliff was intercepted in the end zone. Temple advanced to the 13-yard line before McManus booted the game-winner on third down.
Temple took a 7-0 lead into the halftime locker room courtesy of a 4-yard touchdown run by Bernard Pierce. The score capped a 10-play, 69-yard drive and came after McManus had missed field goal attempts of 44 and 38 yards earlier in the half.
The Chippewas knotted the score at 7-7 on their second possession of the second half. On second down from the CMU 29-yard line, Radcliff stepped to his left and threw back across the field to Cody Wilson, who eluded defenders for a 70-yard gain to the Temple 1-yard line. Paris Cotton scored on the next play, and Paul Mudgett's extra point evened the score.
Temple regained the lead on the ensuing possession, driving 66 yards in 11 plays before McManus kicked a 31-yard field goal.
CMU seemed poised to again draw even on its next possession, advancing to Temple's 10-yard line, but Mudgett pushed a 27-yard field goal attempt wide right.
The Chippewa defense forced a punt, however, setting the stage for CMU's final scoring drive that forced overtime.
CMU out-gained Temple in the loss, 342-265, and converted 7-of-14 third downs to Temples 5-of-12. The teams combined for five turnovers and three missed field goals.
Radcliff completed 25-of-35 passes for 299 yards with a pair of interceptions. Wilson posted career highs of seven catches for 153 yards.
Chester Stewart was 16-of-22 passing for 151 yards for Temple. He spread his 16 completions around to 10 different receivers.
CMU continues MAC play next Saturday, visiting Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m.